The 48RE transmission is the weakest point on a Dodge Cummins truck. Not only do they fail on trucks with minor upgrades, but even trucks in stock form have been known to be too powerful. A heavy duty truck needs parts which can stand up to heavy trailers, stop-and-go commutes to work, or high-horsepower applications. Thats why ATS modifies the transmission to make it the strongest and most reliable part of your drivetrain. With the many shortcomings of the 48RE, none are more important than the clutch packs. This is what takes the power load and transmits it to the rear wheels.
We increase the clutch count in the Forward, Overdrive, and Overdrive Brake clutch packs which allow much higher torque capacity in each gear. Clutch material is also essential which is why we use Borg Warner and Raybestos clutches which has both high torque strength as well as longevity and reliability. Another important aspect is the hard parts on the transmission. The factory sheet metal strut anchor is replaced with a much stronger billet strut anchor, allowing more precision application of the band.
Along with the factory plastic accumulator piston is replaced with a billet unit as well. The apply lever is a 1:5.0 ratio apply arm, which applies the borg warner red lining band. This band features a performance friction material capable of holding higher power levels.
The valve body receives extensive modifications as well. We give the valve body the ability to lock the torque converter in 1st and 2nd gear, circulate transmission fluid in park/reverse/neutral, machine the TV valve passage and install our proprietary TV valve sleeve, and increase line pressure. The towing version will deliver smooth, quick, crisp shifts that enhance the drivability and operation of your transmission on the street and attached to a trailer. This is the valve body of choice for a street driven all-purpose truck.
It is a very aggressive valve body and a minimum of billet input shaft and flex plate are recommended.
- ATS billet input shaft
- ATS billet flex plate
- Commander lock-up controller
- New performance forward clutch pack and steels with 1 added friction
- New performance direct clutch pack and steels with 1 added friction
- New performance overdrive brake clutch pack and steels with 1 added friction
- New performance overdrive clutch pack and steels
- Low/reverse band replaced with Borg Warner Red Lining performance band
- Intermediate/2nd gear band replaced with Borg Warner Red Lining performance band
- 1:5.0 band apply lever
- Billet Band strut
- Billet accumulator piston
- Precision machined forward pressure plate (machined step)
- Precision machined lower forward pressure plate (machined flat)
- Precision machined overdrive brake pressure plate (machined flat)
- New direct pressure plate
- Performance low/reverse one-way clutch
- Machined TV valve sleeve (prevents sticking TV valve)
- Ability to achieve 1st and 2nd gear lockup
- Ability to circulate fluid to the torque converter in park/reverse/neutral
- Increase line pressure
- Improve shift quality and firmness
- Gasket and seal overhaul kit
- Bearings and bushing
Early 2004 Dodge Ram 4WD, Stage 4 Auto Trans Package. Includes:
ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans
ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter
ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan
ATS Billet Input Shaft
ATS CoPilot Torque Converter Lock-Up Controller
- 2004 2500/3500 Cummins Dodge
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.